Monday, January 26, 2009

Why are we runnin'? Oh eee oh eee oh! Why are we runnin' now?

Good Monday morning! Yesterday I went to the Nike Factory Outlet and bought some new workout pants, which I love. Absolutely love! They are soft, light weight and they have pockets! Woo hoo! I also bought some wrist weights which I had been wanting to get. Yipee!

So this morning I rolled my tired self out of bed and donned my new pants along with my other walking attire, strapped on my wrist weights and headed out the door. Last night I also discovered Last.FM which is the equivalent of Pandora for my phone. Rather than strapping on my MP3 player I decided to listen to Last.FM even though I don't have headphones for my phone. (One draw back of the G1 is that it doesn't adapt to normal headphone jacks.) This worked out pretty well as the music would quiet every minute so that CardioTrainer could tell me how far I had gone. This also came in handy when I decided to throw in a few 1 minutes stints of running.

I've read the "From Couch Potato to 5K" program and the plan is to alternate running and walking. They suggest starting out running 30 seconds to a minute and then walking, alternating during your entire work out. It has been a goal of mine since the beginning to do that, but I wanted to get used to getting up and doing anything first. Walking 1.6 (1.7, 1.8, whatever it is) miles has become some what easy over these last three weeks. Saturday my roommate, Sarah, and I drove to Watercolor and walked for 3 miles. Thing is I could have kept going! It felt good!

Anyway, I decided this morning I needed a little more challenge in my workout and added a few stints of running, as I mentioned before. I'm not quite to the point where I can consistently rotate one minute walking one minute running. The main reason is because it takes me so long to recover from that one minute of running. I'm either TERRIBLY out of shape or I'm doing something wrong. Okay, maybe it's a little of both. I need some breathing pointers!

After about 10 minutes I ran 1 minute, recovered while walking for 2 minutes, ran another minute, walked 2 minutes, ran 1, walked 3, ran 1, walked 3, ran 1... or something close to that. In total I ran 4 minutes, but like I said recovery from each minute increased each time. It's not my muscles that I was having problems with. It's my lungs.

I did think maybe I tried adding too many new things in one day - wrist weights and some running. I don't know... I just know it felt good what I was able to accomplish, but I would like to figure out what's going on so I can accomplish more. ANY tips would be greatly appreciated!

So this morning I was pleased to find a friend request on Myspace from a High School friend. It's funny because I have looked for her before, but didn't find her. I have to say I love Myspace and Facebook for the people I've been able to reconnect to through them. I may not talk to those people everyday, but at least I have an idea of where they are and how to find them. It's nice!

Alright... well, on with my Monday!

No comments: