Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I go walking after midnight....

Technically I did walk after midnight, though it wasn't in the star light. Sorry, it was the best I could do this morning! My knowledge of walking songs is rather slim. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Well, I got up at 7am and walked the route I plotted out last night. 1.69 miles in 26:36 minutes. I ran for a few short stints in the middle and at the end. Barely 45 seconds each, but a start none the less. My goal in the next few weeks, once I've gotten myself "warmed up," is to do the "Couch Potato to 5K" program. I've never been a runner, always hated running, loathed the "cross country" section in gym class as a kid, but for the last several months I have had this desire to run. Call me crazy... I probably am! I do find a bit of excitement in the thought of working up to the point where I could go on runs with Gena when I go to visit her.

My wonderful cardio tracker on my phone is accessible online. I ask that anyone who takes the time to read my blog to periodically check on my status via the following information. I plan to walk Monday through Friday, at least a mile, hopefully more. If you log in and you see I haven't walked/run/whatever yet.... GET ON MY CASE! Please! I can use all the encouragement and push I can get. www.worksmartlabs.com/cardiotrainer - Access Code: CZVU-8SQI I suggest selecting the "hybrid" view so that you don't think I'm trekking through the woods in the mornings. Plus you can get an idea of my "neighborhood."

This morning as I walked I wondered, "Why now?" What is going to make this time different from every other time I have tried to exercise consistently? Getting in shape/weight loss is a definite plus, but there's more to it than that.

1st of all I'm strapping on my MP3 player with worship music and taking the time that I am walking to just be with the Lord. "Walk with Him" so to speak.... Speaking of that.... This morning as I walked on the dirt road of the North side of campus I was looking at the footprints that were in the sand. A few times I saw what I thought were my footprints from last night. Others were definitely not my shoe prints, but one struck me kinda funny. It wasn't a tennis shoe but rather a man's dress shoe, someone with fairly big feet. Thanks to having just read The Shack I had an image of God, Papa, walking beside me in wing tips.

The second thing I believe will keep me walking is the fact that I turn 30 in a little over a year. Different ages affect people differently depending on their stage of life. 25 was rough for me because God brought me to a point were I could no longer hide behind my walls and ignore the "skeletons" in my closet. I was forced to deal with my issues of hurt and unforgiveness head on. It wasn't fun, but when I turned 26 I knew I did so as a new woman. The thought of turning 30 makes me shutter. At times it's difficult to even form the word "thhhhhiiiiirrrrtttttyyyyyyy." It's like my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth prohibiting it from coming out in regards to me.

The truth is the fact that I'm not married plays a huge part in how I feel about turning 30. I realize in the "real world" (that outside the bubble of my current community) it's normal for people to stay single into their 30s, but right now I am surrounded by people my age and much younger married with families. It's difficult to keep perspective on what is "normal" when that is your "reality." For years I've been comfortable being single, grateful that God's plans provailed in my life and I was able to face issues like I did when I was 25 without dragging a husband and children through that process with me. Now I just struggle with restlessness... kinda like, "Okay, God, bring him along already so we can get this show on the road." I'm sure God smiles, shakes His head and pats me on my spiritual head....

Anywho, with all of this in mind I decided that I want to turn 30 with some more discipline under my belt. The discipline to get up and walk (or eventually run) in the mornings, the discipline to actually finish books I start reading, etc. Maybe I'll turn 30 with a man... maybe I won't... either way I want to look back at the year I was 29 and say, "It was all worth it!"

No comments: