Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The wonder of a smoothie and a spinach salad!

I bought stuff last night to make smoothies in the mornings.  However, I have to actually get up in time to make said smoothie before leaving for work.  Despite my Sleepy Time Extra tea and my favorite night time cough syrup I didn't sleep too well and then overslept.  And as it would happen I HAD to wash my hair this morning.  So... I forewent the smoothie and grabbed a banana on the way out the door, my coffee with vanilla almond milk in the other hand.

Since I was late to work I hit the ground "running" and didn't break open my banana until the end of a meeting with my Media team.  Guess what happened as I was peeling my banana just about ready to take a bite?
It broke and fell on the floor in my office.  I picked it up, definitely inside the 30 second rule window, but could not bring myself to eat it after it touched my office floor.  I know the kinds of critters that have been known to roam our office when no one is here.  I have heard the stories of people cleaning and chasing squirrels around.  I've swept mouse droppings off this very floor.  Good thing my house is close, REAL CLOSE, so I ran home to make a smoothie.

Ten fresh strawberries + a banana + about half a cup of orange/strawberry/ banana juice + some ice = YUMMY! 

Around 2pm I decided it would be a good idea to eat something that would hold me over until after church tonight.  It's the first Wednesday of the month and we have our Power and Glory service, which is worship and prayer.  I hate to eat before I sing because it make me burp.  Since I'm still susceptible to random coughing (though feeling quite a bit better) I figured I should eat sooner rather than later.  The alternatives are either burping or starving...

Again thankful for the fact that I live close to my house I ran home to make a salad.  I pulled a bag of spinach out of the fridge and in the process of heaping some into a bowl discovered half a bag of baby spinach from Publix only has 20 calories.  Well that spinach, some dried cranberries, almond slivers and some lite balsamic vinaigrette dressing and I was set!

After work I had some hot tea with honey and an apple with peanut butter.  Both the apple and the tea are good for the throat and vocal chords before singing... yeah, yeah... not so much the peanut butter.

I had every intention of coming home after church and cooking some dinner, but decided I wasn't hungry and Zumba-ed out some icky feelings.  And trust me the sweat that was dripping was evidence that I worked it!  (Makes me think of Regina Spektor's song Folding Chair - "I’ve got a perfect body cause my eyelashes catch my sweat" HA!)

I finished of the night with a cup of SleepyTime tea with honey, that ironically did not make me sleepy, and a little bit of trail mix!





No comments: