Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Love/Hate Relationship with Planning

I love to plan and be organized and have goals, but sometimes the process of putting all of that in place gets me down.  I spent most of an entire work day making a to-do list for our media team and planning deadlines for some major upcoming projects.  As much as I LOVE planning I was frustrated by the process.  I had to keep in mind that in the long run the time, that was seemingly unproductive, spent marking things on a calendar, sending emails to assign task deadlines, and making our to-do list would make me happy in the long run.  


I am pretty sure I have undiagnosed ADD (evidenced by the fact that I regularly have at least eight tabs open in Firefox and four programs running on my computer at once)... add that to my OCD and you’ve got trouble.  I think that plays into why I love and hate the planning process.  Sometimes my brain starts in the middle rather than at the beginning or the end.  Either alternative would make planning so much easier than starting in the middle.  

It just dawned on me that part of feeling unproductive while planning probably points to the fact that it doesn’t always show immediate productivity to others.  As I mark things on a calendar, send emails and plan, plan, plan I know I’m marking stuff off of my list, but others may not.  

Someone please tell me I’m not the only one that feels this way?  In the mean time I will continue planning... even if at the moment it feels unproductive!  I have all of 2013 to start planning...

No comments: