Saturday, May 1, 2010

This is what you get!

If you feel like people should keep their struggles and emotions to themselves, rather than share what they are going through, then you should probably stop reading now.

Lately I have totally lacked motivation.  No matter what time I go to bed, how much sleep I get, I'm flat exhausted.  I haven't been to the gym in a shameful amount of time and all I want are carbs... ever.  I also seem to be drained of any creativity.  It was as if my well had run dry.  A couple of weeks ago I finally had a moment of clarity.  I put all of the pieces together and realized that I was experiencing all of the tell tale signs of depression. 

One would think that periodic bouts with it over the last 30 years would make me realize a little sooner what was happening.  However, when you're in it you don't always see it.  It's the classic saying, "You can't see the forest for the trees."  You're just tired and sad and irritated.  And you justify it all by the disappointments and circumstances in your life.  What you don't realize is that in a different state of emotional being you would just take it all in stride, and have, in the past, taken it all in stride.

It took me a few days once I realized what was going on to admit it to anyone.  For some reason there is so much shame associated with recognizing that you are feeling anything less than perfect.  The two friends I told both responded with encouragement. 

One consoled me and said it was understandable.  I had just crossed a major milestone in my life, turning 30, and though it was good it held some disappointments.  Then without any time to process what I was going through we went right into a conference.  Once it was all said and done, and everything settled down, I was left tired with lots to process through.

Another gave me a nugget that was one of the most encouraging things someone could have said to me.  The new day begins at night.  Tomorrow, Sunday, will not begin when the sun rises.  Instead it will begin at midnight tonight.  It will be dark, and possibly scary, full of mystery but it will be a new day. 

Being from two families that both battle depression and anxiety I realize there are lots of contributing factors; chemical, emotional, genetic and spiritual.  I also believe we can conquer depression if we can admit where we are at and make a determination that it will not conquer us.  For me personally I know that these bouts are decoys meant to distract me and keep me off focus.  I also know I can't deal with them alone.  There are things I have to do; spend more time with the Lord, worship more, all that good stuff.  But I also need the support of others. 

Telling Rebecca that I realized I was depressed was extremely difficult.  This seems crazy since I can tell her anything.  However, there was a shame associated with how I was feeling.  I should have it all together.  I should be happy and content.  I should be full of joy and energy.  But I wasn't. 

I even hesitated in writing this blog.  Do I want the whole world to know that I am overcoming a bout of depression?  Do I want everyone to know that I realize that I could, and probably at some point will, have another bout of depression that I need to overcome?  Am I prepared for the well meaning suggestions of how to rid myself of such bouts?  I weighed all of the options and considered the consequences and decided my vulnerability could serve more purpose in helping others than keeping my trials to myself.

I want to point out that I do not SUFFER from depression.  It does not have a permanent hold on my life.  But at times I do FIGHT it, sometimes the battle is more fierce than others, but I FIGHT none the less. 

So why am I laying out a portion of my heart this afternoon?  Because I think it helps me and helps others.  When I can say, "I'm battling depression right now," I find it looses its power and I gain mine. 

I am a people watcher.  I know that does not come as a surprise to most people.  I watch how people act and interact, I also like to analyze and understand what makes people act the way they do.  As I write this blog two individuals of my acquaintance come to mind.  Both have challenges they are facing, battling, attempting to overcome.  I don't attempt to know or understand what they are facing in their entirety, but I know they are facing stuff.  One when asked how he is doing always responds with great enthusiasm that he is "great" and implies that there is nothing in the world wrong with him.  The other when I have on several recent occasions asked how he was has responded, "meh."  I "teased" the later on this frequent response, but the more I think about it Mr. Meh is being honest and genuine and is probably the healthier of the two for it.  He can admit that he's not "great" and doesn't feel like he needs to pretend to be in order to be doing ok.  Meanwhile, Mr. Great is really not so great after all.

Why do we hide behind masks and walls of "everything is alright?"  Why are we so afraid to be vulnerable and honest with each other?  I don't want to hide behind walls and pretense anymore.  I don't want to be afraid to admit that I am going through a rough spot.  I don't want to feel like I am less of a person, less spiritual, or that there is something wrong with me when I am having a hard time.  And I want to be a safe place for others to open up about what they are going through.

If you are a friend of mine I want to be a safe place for you to be who you are.  To be vulnerable.  To be real.  I won't try to fix you.  I will only offer my advice when you are ready to hear it.  But I will pray for you.  And I will listen whenever you need to be heard.  I will be your shoulder whenever you need one to cry on. 

Galations 6:1-3 says, "Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important." (New Living Translation) If we are commanded to help each other overcome sin, how much more do you think God wants us to help each other overcome in other situations that aren't sin? 

Let's rally around each other.  Let's open up and be honest.  Transparency is a key to overcoming.  When we can talk things out we can see them from a different perspective.  We begin to see that the issues facing us are not insurmountable mountains, but are mere mole hills.  Maybe they are even mere ant hills and all we have to do is squash them.  And if they end up actually being mountains, at least we can help each other climb them. 

We are not less for facing trials.  We are stronger for staring them down and overcoming them and sharing our victory with others!

No comments: