Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Summer Time!

Even though I hate the Florida heat there is something about Summer that makes me happy.  It must go back to all of those summers as a child and the fun and adventures they held.  It's been quite some time that I've been a grown up with a job that doesn't take a summer break, but I still remember those amazing days of summer.  Even when I had a summer job I still managed to enjoy every bit of my summer vacations.  I remember when I wasn't working I would stay up all night reading, watching TV, listening to music, talking on the phone and then sleep all day.  Summer in Ohio often meant it was still cool enough in the evening, and as it would have been for me the middle of the night, to open the windows and enjoy the amazing summer air.


There were canoeing trips and bonfires and hiking trips to Old Man's Cave.  There were sleep overs that didn't have anything to do with sleep and youth choir trips to Cedar Point that always included some sort of fight amongst the boys.  (Not to mention it ALWAYS rained.)  When I got older there were date trips down to Kings Island.  BBQs at Blacklick and walks on the trails.  We worked our butts of during Campmeeting and yet somehow loved every minute of it. 

In the days when life was much simpler I would go to our Family Reunions every year at Camp Ceasar in Cowan, WV.  We would swim all afternoon, get sun burned and then bundle up in sweatshirts for the bonfire that night.  I remember when I was really little visiting my Granny Miller's house.  It was the same two bedroom house that she and my great-grandfather raised my grandfather and his five siblings in.  My favorite place in the house was her front porch swing.  I remember as a small child sitting out there by myself making up songs and watching the "traffic" go by. 

Somehow now summer still holds a "spell" over me.  Though part of me despises the 90+ degree heat that has already settled into the Emerald Coast at the same time it ignites an excitement in me.  Things tend to slow down a bit at the office, we don't have any conferences and life just seems less busy.  Weekends are filled with sunshine and water, mainly pool water, BBQs and playing games.  The days seem to last forever and somehow summer just seems full of hope and opportunities. 

There were many times over the winter months where I just wanted to get back to the summer.  Though I loved the cool crisp winter weather and the winter holidays, I wanted back to the fun and fellowship of the summer.  This weekend is Memorial Day weekend and summer is here.  I'm excited.  I know that there is change in the air and good things are coming. 

No comments: