Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Love doesn't cost a thing... or does it?

Back around Valentine's Day I started writing about love.  I was pondering how we love others and if loving others the way we receive love, instead of how they receive love, is love at all.  Well, I got about knee deep in the blog and got stuck.  Not so unusual.  There are lots of 1/2 written blogs in my repertoire. 

This weekend we had a conference.  It was all focused on the Love of the Father God and experiencing it.  One of the speakers referenced one of my favorite scriptures that says that perfect love casts out all fear.  I was thinking about this again this morning as I had allowed fear to totally stop me in my tracks. 

Have you ever thought of a scenario and said, "Well if this happens I'm going to do this..." and then to your complete and utter surprise it happens, but you can't seem to follow through on what you said you would do?  Yeah, that was me this morning.  I was totally and completely gripped by fear, and missed an opportunity to show love to someone.  I tried to overcome my fear, but by the time I was ready to push through it I missed my opportunity. 

The irony of the situation takes us back to this past Friday afternoon, when a combination of "perfect love casts out all fear" and an amazing quote had me pondering an important question.  Silja Hilton was one of the speakers at the conference and she shared a quote from her Mom, Dr. Melodye, "If you're not close enough to get hurt, you're not close enough to make a difference."  Some time on Saturday I had an epiphany as all of the talk of love came together in my heart and mind.  Because if we have truly experienced, encountered the love of the Father then we can't help but love others.  And I realized that many times over my life I have made the statement, "I'm loving them from a distance."  The thing is, you can't do that.  The only way to truly love someone is to get in the thick of it.  You have to be willing to get hurt; willing to get a little messy.

I was reminded of a story that Pastor Jane always tells.  She struggled with fear for quite a while.  And she has always been deathly afraid of snakes.  One day her kids were playing outside when her son ran in, crying and said, "Mommy, the snake looked at me!"  At that moment from somewhere within her arose a courage she had never before known when it came to snakes.  But this snake had crossed the line from messing with her to messing with her baby.  At that point the perfect love for her son cast out all fear she had known in the past.  She didn't care about getting hurt, all she cared about was protecting, loving, her child!

For days I've been asking how I can show love to someone, this morning I had the opportunity and I FROZE!  DUMB!  I don't think I have somehow thwarted my destiny, but I don't know what that person might go through today and how God may have intended me to help influence their day. 

FDR said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself!"  I don't know where FDR was with the Lord, but he had a word from the Lord when he spoke that.  Fear is the enemy of all things good and Godly!  Fear stops us from putting ourselves out there and showing people love because we are afraid of getting hurt.  But the Bible says, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away." 

Two things strike me in this passage in 1 Corinthians that particularly apply to what I'm talking about.  Love is not self-seeking - That means true love is not based out of how we will feel when it is all said and done.  So if we're going to love someone we have to be willing to put ourselves out there regardless of how they may respond.  Oh, and just a note, we're not responsible for whether or not they receive the love we give.  The second thing is love never fails - So no matter the initial reaction of the person we have tried to reach out and love, a seed has been planted in their hearts.  And you can't ever go wrong when genuinely trying to show someone self-less love.

So, basically I'm challenging myself, and in turn challenging you.... to step beyond your fear and love.  What's the worst that can happen?

Tomorrow night I'm preaching at my church for the first time.  I've spoken at youth and MTC, I've taught classes during conferences, but I've never spoken at an actual church service.  I'm so stirred up.  With everything God is doing in my life, all the Apple Cart cleanout taking place, I'm totally wrecked for Him!  It may not always show on the outside if you're a casual acquaintance, but if you're a close friend you have heard me talk about all that God is showing me.  So, stay posted, there's more to come....

( )

No comments: