Thursday, December 10, 2009

I Gotta' Feelin! Woo hoo!

September 21st Jermaine emailed me and asked me to go on a top secret mission for him.  See he was, well and still is, dating my roommate Rebecca.  The top secret mission was to find out Rebecca's ring size and what kind of engagement ring she wanted.  Being that I love them both, and I love them together I was more than willing to accept the mission.  It took me a few weeks to find the right time, but eventually, while Jermaine was in Scotland, I found an opportunity to work the critical questions into a conversation with Rebecca.  Ironically we had actually talked about rings before, but I could not for the life of me remember what size she was.

On Saturday, October 17th he took her to Destin to look at fish just to provide an opportunity to sneak an outfit he bought her into the house.  Later he led her on a treasure hunt with Ashley that ended at Alys Beach.  Jermaine met Rebecca when Ashley dropped her off, covered her eyes and led her down to the beach.  On the beach was written "Rebecca will you marry me?"  She said yes, and they have set the date for May 8th, 2010.  (Check out this "feature" of their engagement on the Alys Beach blog - http://tiny.cc/uB3DZ )

November 7th Rebecca and her bridesmaids, Ashley, Mandy and I, loaded up in the car for a mini road trip to Tallahassee for some dress shopping.  We were meeting Rebecca's Mom there and Ashley, the matron of honor, had a whole day planned.  The memories began before we even got on the interstate.  If you're lucky, and you ask Ashley and I nicely we may reenact the Whattaburger bee scenario.  It was just the beginning of a fun filled day of bonding and doting on the bride-to-be!  We cranked the music and sang along with everything from 80s to country and everything in between.

As most girls, Rebecca has been dreaming about her wedding since she was a kid.  We've had wedding magazines in our house since long before Jermaine proposed.  She had in mind what kind of dress she would like and what kind she wouldn't.  One dress in particular she was in love with.  When we got to David's Bridal she sat down with the consultant and picked out dresses she wanted to try on.  Her Mom, and all of us bridesmaids, agreed that she should try on the one she really loved last.  We figured unless it looked absolutely terrible she would stop looking as soon as she tried it on.  So she tried on several dresses, all of which were nice, but none were "the one."  I've been dress shopping with enough brides, and watched enough episodes of "Say Yes to the Dress" that I know when a girl knows the dress is "the one." 

Rebecca's consultant had to step away to help another bride and her manager came to help instead.  Rebecca gave her the quick run down of what she liked and what she didn't like and the manager went in search of a few more dresses.  A few minutes later we could overhear the manager saying, "I want you to know I was listening to what you said, but I want you to try this dress.  If you don't like it we'll stick with the styles you like."  A few moments later Rebecca walked out in a beautiful dress.  It didn't take long to realize it was "the one!"  We were all teary eyed and could see her walking down the aisle in that dress.  Just to be sure she then tried on the dress she had loved from the magazine.  Though it was still beautiful, she decided it wasn't "the one."  The other dress was! 

Rebecca experienced the same thing I watched Gena experience almost 12 years ago.  She fell for a dress that was nothing she ever thought she wanted. 

Over the next few days I pondered this scenario.  How many brides have gone in with one dress in mind and ended up with something totally different?  More than that... how often does that happen in our lives?  There have been so many times I have thought a situation would "fit me perfectly" only to discover it wasn't at all what I was looking for.  On the other hand there have been situations where I became friends with someone that I thought I would be too different for me to really enjoy.  Instead I discovered that I really enjoyed them and am now grateful to have them in my life. 

I've always loved to sing.  As a kid I would stand on our fireplace hearth and dance and sing along with Kids Inc.  (Shout out if you remember that show...)  When I was in 3rd grade I started taking voice and piano lessons at my school.  Then we moved from West Virginia to Florida for a year. When we came back, though I returned to the same school, I didn't start back up lessons.  It wasn't until I was in High School, after we moved to Ohio, that I started taking lessons again.  I was in the youth choir, but my Mom really wanted me to start taking lessons again.  I resisted.  I was afraid the teacher would turn me into an opera singer, and that's not what I wanted!  I eventually gave in.  I think my Mom pretty much told me to try it and if I really hated it I could quit.  Well, I ended up not really hating it.  I took lessons all through High School and loved every minute of it.  Along with my lessons I continued to be a part of the youth choir and took choir at my school. 

I know that I would not be where I am in regards to my singing abilities if my Mom hadn't pushed me to try something that I thought wasn't what I was looking for.  I went from being quiet as a church mouse to confident in the gift God gave me.  I went from a face in the choir to an assistant worship leader.  All because I gave in and tried something I didn't think I would like. 

How often do we limit ourselves, or put God in a box because we think we know how things should be?  What opportunities do we miss because we think we won't like something or someone?  I'm trying to take on the mantra that I will try anything once.  (Obviously within reason.)  I might find I really enjoy something or someone, or I might realize it wasn't really a fit for me after all. 

We never know when "not my style" is waiting just around the corner and is really "the one."

No comments: