Monday, December 28, 2009

Tell me no lies...

I've been wanting to write a New Year's blog, but not been successful in producing my thoughts about the coming year in a cohesive manner.  It's not that I didn't have anything to say, I actually started a page and a half, but it wasn't right.  It wasn't what I wanted to say.  While getting ready for bed last night I heard God say, "I am not a man that I should lie."  Of course I know God doesn't lie.  I know He doesn't say things he doesn't mean, but somehow this hit me in a new way.

You see I had just learned that yet another promise made by someone would go unfulfilled.  Broken promises, no matter how often you experience them, are not something you just get used to.  Those that say they expect promises to be broken, or that they have given up hope of people fulfilling their word are merely trying to protect themselves.  I bet if they were honest they would tell you that somewhere deep inside they always hope things will be different.  Always hope that something will change.  Always hope that they will be surprised by the unexpected.

Sadly people who have experienced so many disappointments and broken promises in their lives doubt everyone's word, even God's...  I can honestly say I have struggled a lot with whether or not God will fulfill His promises because of all of the times I have been let down by people on this earth.  How can I trust a God I can't see when people I can aren't always dependable? 

Now there are a lot of VERY dependable people in my life, people that I can always count on, like my Mom.  But there are the few that haven't been dependable.  There's a principle that 100 people could complement your hair, say how nice it is, and in the midst of those people one say something to the contrary, "Your bangs look funny," and you will "forget" the 100 nice things and remember the one derogatory statement.  I've found it to be the same with dependability.  I have tons of people in my life who follow through on their word, but there are a few who don't.  So when things start to look like they are falling apart, like someone's promises won't be fulfilled, I remember the other times in my life when promises haven't been fulfilled rather than all the times they have. 

Meanwhile, here we are with 2010 staring us down like a bad game of chicken.  It's coming and there is no avoiding it.  Truth be told I don't want to avoid it.  I want to run at it head on... I'm just not sure I want to run all the way through to December.  Another year is ending, a whole new decade beginning and there several promises in my life that have not yet been fulfilled.  One obvious one being that of a husband and family. 

I've come a long way over the last several years and have learned to embrace my singleness.  I seize opportunities to be spontaneous knowing that I won't always have that luxury.  I enjoy days when I can just lay on the couch in my pjs watching tv and let the house be a mess and not have to answer to anyone about it.  However, I still look forward to my last first date and my last first kiss.  I look forward to having someone to share my life with.  If more people knew the current inward contemplations along these same regards they would be proud of me.  Proud that I have also embraced trusting God and His timing.  Proud that I have finally learned to "let go and let God."  This of course isn't the only promise yet to be fulfilled in my life, but it is an important one.

Numbers 23:19 says, "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?"  Again in 1 Samuel 15:29 it says, "He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind; for he is not a man, that he should change his mind."  Not only does God not lie, He doesn't change His mind.  In Isaiah 55:11 it says that His word will not return void.  That means if God speaks it, it will happen.  Now, believe what you will, but I know that I serve a God that is still speaking today.  He didn't stop with His written word.  He still speaks to and through His people everyday, all day!
And if He says it, if it proceeds from His mouth it will not return void.  He keeps His promises.  Not always according to our timing, most of the time not according to our timing, but He will keep His word.  He's not a liar!  He didn't lie about not lieing!

So, what has He promised?  He's promised that He will supply all of our needs; Phillippians 4:19.  He's promised us eternal life through Jesus.  He's promised that He will work all things for good to those who love Him; Romans 8:28.  He's promised that He has a plan for each of our lives, Jeremiah 29:11.  I could go on and on and on... There are webpages devoted to the promises God has made to us, His children. (Not to mention an ancient book...) I dare you to Google "God's promises."  And He says, "I'm not a man that I should lie!"  WOW!  God's not a liar, and He meant everything He has promised us!

Romans 8:28 - God makes all things good for those who love Him makes me think of cooking.  A good cook can fix a meal or recipe gone wrong.  They know the right thing to add to make it less salty, or take out some of the "heat."  When I'm making my secret recipe sugar cookies I know what to add if the batter is too wet or too dry.

There is a show on the Food Network called Dinner Impossible.  The host, Robert Irvine, is given no notice to put together elaborate meals.  There's some prep time to decide what he's going to make and getting the supplies and then the pandemonium begins.  He is such an expert at what he does that even if things go wrong he can turn them around and accomplish his goal.  God is an expert at cooking up our lives.  He's known the plans he has for us before we were even conceived.  Even if things get "messed up" He knows the perfect ingredient to turn it all around.  It may seem bleek, it may seem impossible, but He promised He would work all things for good if we love Him! 

As I pondered yet another broken promise and wondered about the year ahead He said, "I am not a man that I should lie."  So as I face 2010 head on with bulldog tenacity I do so knowing that what my God has promised He will fulfill!  I don't have to sweat it.  He's got it all figured out!  All I have to do is keep walking with Him, stay sensitive to the sound of His voice and watch Him move! 

What has He promised you that has yet to be fulfilled?  Are you trusting the One who can not lie?  Do you believe that He will make all things good?  He will!  Give Him a chance to prove it!

No comments: