Friday, January 25, 2013

It's a New Season

Well, the release of this blog coincides with a Facebook announcement.  Don’t you know, nothing is official until you post it on Facebook?  I kid... well sorta!  ;-)  The big news is...... I’M MOVING!  After spending almost 15 years here in Florida I am moving back home at the end of May!  It’s exciting and terrifying all at the same time.  I’m moving back to the tri-state/Ohio Valley area.  I haven’t lived up there since I was 12.  So, though it is familiar it hasn’t been my place of residence for twenty years.  Just the thought that I could have lived away from some place for 20 years makes me feel a little old.  

Though most people have not been surprised by my announcement, which I spent over a week unveiling to those around me because I felt the need to tell so many people personally, some have been very shocked at my decision to leave.  The truth is... I’ve been in a rough place the last eight months or so.  I’ve honestly been rather miserable.  I’ve spent a lot of time praying and seeking God for direction, or an attitude adjustment.  I wasn’t sure if it was just one of those seasons that I needed to get through or if God was setting me up for change and transition.   In November I sought unbiased counsel on the matter and came to the conclusion that a move was at hand.  

As I went north for the holidays I did so with an open heart and mind, keeping all options open, and trying to pay attention to whether or not anything “fit.”  It was great to be back in Columbus with friends, and as much as I thought it would feel like the right place, it just wasn’t quite right.  I could have made it work, but I don’t want to have to make anything work.  I want it to be a God fit. But being home in Wheeling and in Claysville and Washington felt right.  It didn’t take long before I started plotting my return to the north with my dear friend Christi and her husband Andrew.  (Christi was my roommate in Bible College and her parents are pastors, associated with the ministry I currently work for.)  Sunday afternoon lunch with her family confirmed for me that it was time to move home.  Everyone from her parents to her sisters and their husbands were excited at the prospect of me moving home.  It just felt right.  I knew I already had a place.  Next thing I know Andrew, Christi, and I were making plans for me to live in an apartment in their basement.  Things were rolling, and after years of joking about me moving home, it all seemed to finally be real!

Then I told my family!  I think at first my stepmom didn’t believe me, but my sister cried.  In the 20 years of her life we have never lived this close together.  For the first time in my adult life I’ll be able to go see my family whenever I want to.  Sunday dinner, taco Tuesday... just because.... I’ll only be 15 minutes away!  There are other family members that I have normally only seen once a year that I will also see more often.  I can’t wait to be able to reconnect and build these relationships instead of always feeling like I’m playing catch up.

Before I came back to Florida it was all settled in my heart, but the task of telling everyone here was just beginning.  At first I planned to wait until June, because I had set my move date for the beginning of August.  However, the more I was back, and the more homesick I became, I found it harder to keep my secret in.  (I’ve never been good at keeping my own secrets.)  Friday, January 18th I woke up and knew it was the day to start the ball rolling.  I talked to my boss first, then my pastors, and then other elders and leaders as I could get to them.  Some of the hardest conversations ended up being the last ones I had.  Not because I saved them for last, but just because that’s how it worked out.  

The hardest part about deciding to move has been the thought of leaving my youth.  I love those crazy teenagers, even if I do yell sometimes.  And I wanted to follow through on our mission trip regardless (which I’m coming back to take them on).  My job can be done by others.  Someone else will step up as another worship leader.  But who would take care of my kids?  I don’t know at this point who will take over, but God has released me from that responsibility and I trust Him to bring the right person.  It’s not going to be easy to say goodbye to them, and I’ve already lost sleep over what will happen when I’m gone, but I know God will take care of it... and them.  All I can do now is pray that what has been started in them, the passion and the zeal for worship and for the Lord, will continue to grow.

Everyone has been super supportive, and most people not surprised at all.  Really... if you pay any attention to my Facebook you realized what a wonderful trip home I had, and how home sick I’ve been ever since.  

So... recap... the last week of May I’m moving to Claysville, PA.  I’ll be living with Christi, Andrew, and their adorable kids.  The dogs are definitely coming with me.  I don’t exactly know what I’m doing for work yet, but I anticipate that will come together quickly.  I’ll be about 15/20 minutes from my sisters and about the same from our church.  I’ll be coming back to Florida a few days before the WV mission trip to take the Emerge kids on one final hoorah with PK.  I’m a bundle of mixed emotions... I range from over the moon excited to sad and nervous.  But it all boils down to … It’s time!  It’s time for change.  It’s time to be near my family.  It’s time for a new season.  And who knows... maybe everyone is right and before too long I’ll be inviting everyone to a wedding in the beautiful hills of WV/Western PA!  ;-)  

The official countdown as of Monday, January 28th.... 17 weeks and 1 day!  




No comments: