Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Forgiveness... Is more than saying sorry...

Two simple words.... three if you’re too good for contractions or you’re trying to really make a point.  I’M SORRY!  Why are those words so difficult for people to utter?  It’s so much easier to say, “I’m sorry,” than it is to give a whole bunch of excuses.


A friend and I were recently encouraging each other through a week that seemed to bombard us with situations of disappointment and opportunity for offense.  Each of our situations seemed laden with excuses and avoidance of responsibility (by the offender of course... not by us ;) )  but completely lacked words that would have made us feel better about the situation.  I’m sorry.  Simple words that can mean so much, of course as long as you feel the individual is being sincere.  

Loyalty is a big thing to me, so when someone says they are going to do something with or for me and then they don’t, my feelings can get a little hurt.  I’m a fairly forgiving person though, and I get over it.  In a situation like this “I’m sorry” goes a LONG way.  Much longer than making excuses.  Excuses are like salt in the wound of disappointment.  Whereas a sincere apology is like a butterfly bandage for the soul.  It closes the wound and protects it from infection.

Several times I have tried to drive home the importance of a sincere apology, or repentance, with the Jr. High kids at church.  A sincere apology is like repentance.  Repentance is turning from your ways, not just saying you’re sorry, but it starts with being sorry.  You can’t have repentance without being remorseful, sorrowful, aware of your wrong doing.  But you can be sorry without repentance.  The difference is a sincere apology versus an insincere one.

I know when the Jr. High kids are truly sorry, repentant, about their behavior.  It shows in their face, it’s expressed through their words and it’s carried out in their actions.  It’s about personal responsibility.  It’s about admitting wrong or neglect, putting aside your victim mentality and entitlement and owning up to your actions.  Sometimes we need to apologize about things that we’ve done consciously and other times unconsciously.  It’s like sins of commission and omission.  

The Bible encourages us to forgive 70 times seven and it doesn’t say, “But only if the offender says they are sorry.”  We are instructed to forgive regardless, however, a sincere apology speeds up the process of forgiveness exponentially.  The Bible also says that we shouldn’t be a stumbling block to our brother (or sister).  Can your lack of an apology be a stumbling block to one of your siblings in Christ?  Hmmmm.....

I’m as guilty as anyone else of getting defensive anytime I’m confronted with what someone considers a wrong I’ve committed against them.  But the more I value receiving an apology, the more willing I am to lay my own embarrassment and pride aside and offer a sincere apology.  We reap what we sow, right?  So if I want to receive sincere excuse free apologies I need to offer them.  

Lay down your pride, your excuses, your victim mentality, your entitlement, whatever keeps you from being able to utter those simple words, and turn from your behavior.  You will feel better!  The other person will feel better!  This is the way you “win friends and influence people.”  This is the honey that attracts bees!

No comments: