Saturday, June 26, 2010

Bury the Hatchet

There's an interesting phenomenon in life – hurt and offense. There is a good amount of time dedicated to these topics in the scriptures and basically how to guard your heart and get over it! We are not permitted to hold grudges and offenses. We are commanded to forgive, let go, move on....


Yet it seems among church people that these are the hardest issues to overcome. Its no surprise really, I mean if we're all hurt and offended then we aren't in unity. And if we're not in unity we can't accomplish the mission we are called to as a body.

However, have you ever noticed that two different people can commit the same offense against you and one instance you won't ever think twice about and yet the other will mortally wound you? I've not only experienced, but marveled at the phenomenon in others lives. What makes one person's offense more impact full than the other?

I've thought about this long and hard, and often times discussed it with one of my favorite sounding boards, Rebecca. My conclusion is this.... You can only be hurt by someone you care about or have some sort of investment in. Or if the offense caused by someone you don't care about effected the relationship with someone you do care about.

When I think about the fact that in my life I have had plenty of opportunities to be hurt and offended I realize that it's because I have cared about so many people. I guess others don't always realize this if they are outside my circle of trust, but I care very deeply for people. I don't always express it for whatever reason, but I do.

When I find myself particularly hurt by something seemingly silly that someone has done, or can't seem to let go of something, I try to stop and look at the situation. Why am I upset by this? Why can't I let go? Has the situation pushed a button in me? Or am I hurt because I care about the person?

I don’t really have a lot to say on this subject because I feel it’s rather self-explanatory.  But here’s my challenge for you.... If you find yourself sneering whenever a certain individual’s name is mentioned, nit picking their every move, still hurt by something they did - take a minute, pray and ask God why this is still such an issue for you.  Ask Him why you haven’t been able to let it go or forgive that person.  Then do whatever you can to make it right!  You will be glad you did, and you’ll be contributing to the unity of the Body of Christ!

No comments: