Monday, February 22, 2010

Did you bring your lampstand?

One night we were setting up for our Friday night webcast that we do in conjunction with CBN and someone said that we should do worship more like someone else.  Let me tell you, that was the wrong comment to the wrong person at the wrong time.  I let them have it, and got quite a look of shock from the other person standing by.  I said, "We are not so-in-so and even if we do so-in-so's songs we will not be them.  We are unique just like they are unique, and if you don't like it you can leave."  If you haven't figured it out yet I am as loyal as the day is long, and if you dare mess with someone or something I love you will see the timid side of me fade away in a blaze of righteous indignation!

I recalled this incident as I was working on my blog "What's for dinner?"  You can consider this a type of continuation of that blog with a little different angle. 

I've been a part of choirs and worship teams since I was 12 years old.  That's 18 years of music ministry.... 18 YEARS!  (Gasp, choke, gasp, sigh!)  It's hard to imagine that more of my life has been spent being a part of a worship team than not.  But throughout those 18 years I've frequently been frustrated by the individuals who seem to just refuse any attempt at entering into worship.  I think everyone should have to be on the platform with a crowd staring back to them with the "come on I dare you to make me worship" look on their faces.  I'm so grateful for my church and the faithful ones that I can always count on to be praising and worshiping with abandon.  They make my job as a team member that much easier, and they are lifesavers when it is my time to lead worship.  Trust me I realize you can't base what God is doing by the reaction of the congregation, but it sure helps to see that someone is actually entering in.

A few years ago Prophet Jim Laffoon was speaking at our church and he was talking about the tabernacle of Moses.  As the Israelites were wandering about the wilderness so was the tabernacle.  Whenever the cloud or fire began to move they knew it was time to pack up and move on.  When this happened each Levite family was responsible to take a certain piece or part of the tabernacle and carry it to the next location.  Father's taught their sons which item they were responsible for, whether it was a tent post or a lampstand or some other item, each was vital to the set up of the tabernacle. And it was therefore vital for the Israelites worship.  If a family shirked their responsibility and didn't show up with their corresponding part then something was missing from the worship or the sacrifice.  If one of the tent poles was late the roof sagged.  If one of the lampstands was missing it was too dark for the priests to perform their duties.  If the alter was missing or the incense bowls then the sacrifices could not be made appropriately, and therefore would not be made at all.

Prophet Laffoon then connected the duties of the Levites to take their piece with them to each of us in the Body of Christ.  The worship team members are not the only ones responsible to be ready for worship.  As members of a corporate body we each have a responsibility to come prepared for worship even if our only job is to stand in the congregation.  We each contribute to the corporate anointing during a service.  So the next time you feel like the worship is lacking something, rather than blame the team, or the music being too loud, or something else, ask yourself if you remembered to bring your lampstand! 

I know that you're not going to love every song that the worship team does.  Don't worry, all of the worship team doesn't love every song they do.  Sometimes I do songs when I'm leading worship that I don't like so much, but I know that God has a purpose for them during that service.  So the next time the worship team does a song for the ten-millionth time or is just not your style or the band is a little off, focus on the words of the song and ask God what His purpose is for that service through that song.

Enjoy worship!  Allow yourself to enter in.  Contribute your part to the corporate anointing!  Maybe someone seeing you enter into worship will encourage them to let go and enter in as well!

No comments: