Monday, January 25, 2010

I Got a New Attitude

A year ago I made up my mind to get in shape.  30 was looming over a year away and I wanted to feel better when I turned 30 than I did a few months before 29.  I started by walking here on campus in the mornings.  When summer started to roll around it just got too stinking hot and the opportunity opened up for me to join the gym with a few of my friends.  Throughout the summer we were hard core, sometimes doing 2-a-days and challenging each other to be there every morning.  As Summer ended and we welcomed fall and the peace and quiet that comes with the tourists going home, schedules got crazy.  Our morning workouts had at some point shifted to evenings after work, but with only Monday and Thursday evenings free that didn't leave me much time to hit the gym.  Then the conference season started and that really threw me off schedule.  I stuck to it as much as I could, but wasn't pushing myself the way I wanted to. 

In a year I haven't lost a whole lot of weight, but my body has changed and I am DEFINITELY in better shape than I was this time last year.  It was all I could do to walk a mile when I started.  Now I'm doing 3.1 miles, plus a cool down, and alternating walking and running.  My lungs still need some help, I literally have to concentrate on breathing during the running/jogging intervals, but otherwise I'm doing well.  Considering most of my life I have been inactive, except when forced to be by PE class in school, I don't think it's too shabby.  The best part is I recently had to purchase new jeans, and when I did so was able to purchase a size that I have not bought since I moved to Florida 11 years ago.  WOOT!  Even better, though annoying for my pocket book, is that my new jeans only make it about 2 wears before being too stretched out to be cute and requiring both a wash and a dry.  I may be buying a smaller size before too long.... a size I don't think I've worn since clothing sizes coincided with my age! 

This morning with renewed determination I got up before the sun and went to the gym.  I did about 50 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights.  Last night before bed I prepped and set the coffee pot to start brewing at 5:20am.  As I suspected the smell of coffee helped me get out of bed and on my way.  Drinking most of it on the way to the gym woke me up and drinking the rest on the way home kept me from falling back asleep.  Now in the solitude of my living room I'm drinking another cup and gathering my thoughts before starting another week.

I started working out last year for me, no one else, just me.  Now, though I continue to do it for me, I also do it with a May bridesmaid dress in mind and someday a wedding gown of my own.  (Don't get too excited... I'm just saying the day will come...)  I also do it because it feels good when people say, "Whatever you're doing keep it up. You look great!"  Being that I am a "words of affirmation" kind of girl it motivates me.  (Check out the 5 Love Languages quiz. http://www.afo.net/hftw-lovetest.asp) 

Right now I face the early mornings alone.  Everyone else is on a crazy diet that has been deemed "the diet of death" and can't work out.  They are loosing as much as two pounds a day, and though mine is coming off slower I feel proud of my efforts.  I know that every pound that comes off has been melted by my own determination, my own blood, sweat and tears!  Then again I don't mind going to the gym alone.  It was nice having everyone there over the summer, having the accountability, but the gym has become my "me" time.  I can think, reflect, pray... I like it!  Though I must admit... when a good worship song comes on my play list it's often challenging to hold myself back so I don't look like a total loon!  It's cool though to know I am meeting with God, basking in His presence, amidst all of the machines and sweat!  :)

I'm adding a section to my blog dedicated to my daily journey to be a slimmer version of myself.  30 is 2 months and 1 day away.  I think I'm going to face it like a Spider Monkey, all jacked up on caffeine and endorphins!  This is going to be an amazing year, 2010, turning 30, IT'S ON! 

I'd love for you to join me on this journey, whether by doing something to get moving yourself, or just by reading my adventures.  Now I must hit the shower so I don't stink at work!  ;)

No comments: